Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday is Funday, even when Cat Norris appears.





I love Sundays. As an adult I have a higher appreciation for Sundays than I did when I was a kid. Sunday meant waking up early, no t.v., stuffy clothes, and off to church. Not only that, but when you come home you have to make sure you finish your homework, eat dinner, and take a bath. Now comes the impending dread. An entire day wasted on things a child has no care for, and lo and behold an entire day of running and playing down the drain! I dreaded Sundays, hell I dreaded Saturday, because Sunday was the day after, and after Sunday--SCHOOL!

It was a dreary every weekend scenario for me for my entire school career, until the day I graduated. I went to the work force, forty hours a week with a little OT. I worked Saturdays, but NEVER Sundays. Work was closed, and I got to do what I wanted. Hung out with friends, went on a date, or spent the day cruising around trying to get into whatever trouble wanted to rear its ugly head. That's what eighteen year olds do, and I loved it.



Ten years since then I forever love Sundays. It is the single day in a week that I almost never have anything important to do besides run around and chase the kids, break up fights, make lunches and watch t.v. or play games. It's the best day that I get to be a dad, because I am there from son up(yup play with words) to son down, and we have a good time together, of course with his sister included. Sunday was a horrendously emotionally stunting day when I was growing up. I believe everyone should love Sunday. And I don't mean because of being biblical or religious either, so don't get into that mind frame. Sunday is my day, it is my kids day, it is my wife's day.

On Sundays we get to be together for an entire day. We get to be ourselves, eat breakfast together, and lunches and dinner, best of all dinner. The dinner table has been since I was a kid, the best place to be, because both of my parents were there, and my sisters. Even when my parents were divorced and seperated, when we got together with either member we sat and loved and ate as a family. It meant the world, and still does, and one day my kids will love being with their families and eating dinner together.

Some Sundays fall victim to disaster sometimes, nothing 's perfect. Not even Sunday.

I love my family, and I love being around them as much as I can, but I also have a value of love that crosses distances unbound. My wife and kids have been staying the weekend with mom's best friend and her kids. They get to see her friends parent's who are grandparents as far as my kids are concerned. Greatest people alive in their world. Even the grandparents can make a child happily leave a parent to go shovel cake, ice cream, and candy into their faces with knee bounces, and swimming and every other amazing thing under the sun.

Yes, I miss my kids, and my wife, but I have taken the last couple of days to embrace what I have been trying to work at. I felt extremely accomplished yesterday. And the joy was being free of the interruptions to put a forward effort into it and establish my control center I guess. I feel as if I can do good work, and make an impact out into the world from the quiet of my office.

Well the good times only last for so long, before you have to cash in on some negative to, as I feel, balance out life. How can you make progress in life if you don't learn to climb new obstacles?

Maybe it is the accomplishment that makes me easy today, or maybe it is a quiet Sunday where I have to worry about nothing except playing(I say playing, because as I sit here I am listening to my favorite tunes, and writing; all play all day) towards my future goals and endeavors.

Well today started well, me and the dogs slept in, brushed my teeth, got dressed and planned to spend sometime working on the book. Morning was running well.

Until I walked down the stairs today and received a full extra saucy helping of unmanaged house heat straight to the face. I knew it right then and there...A/C was out. I want to shake the hand of the man who thought about using double units on two story homes. Even now the house is holding at a subtle ninety degrees by one unit. Not ideal, but if I can sweat out in a hundred and twenty plus degrees at work, I can take the extra burn in the house. But I can do that because I don't have to worry about my kids and my wife suffering with me. They are safe and cool and that alone keeps my temperature down.

Don't know when the techs are going to get back to me, but it should be by tomorrow before noon, so we will see what happens. But today is Sunday, so I'm going to take the rest of the day to write in my journal, maybe read a book. I think I'll let my computer sit today out, how would I manage this blog without it, right?

So love your Sunday, it's a free day if you know how to make it so. Stay cool, or stay warm, whichever you need to do right now. But enjoy it.

The heat inspired me to write today. No matter where the motivation comes from, that's a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment